Thursday 2 May 2013

Coming Around by Matt Henshaw & Reggiimental

I am a very happy music fan. Very happy.

"Why?" I hear you ask.

The answer is simple.

Coming Around, the new album from Matt Henshaw and Reggiimental arrived in my inbox at two minutes past midnight on May 1st...and has been on almost constant repeat ever since. It is fifteen tracks of Solid Gold ( sorry, couldn't help myself!) soul/blues/funk with a gritty edge to it. It is also, by far, the best these B-Boys have produced!

I was going to do an in-depth review of each track, and probably still will, but in the meantime I want to rave about my favourite tracks, and there are many. At last count, I have seven favourites, each with their own merits, and my absolute favourite changes at an alarming rate...which demonstrates the quality of this album. There is no one stand-out track, each is as brilliant as the next...hence the ever-changing favourites. So here they are, in no particular order...

First up, the title track, Coming Around. It's a get-you-on-the-dancefloor feel-good song with a thumpingly good tune with an old-school feel, guaranteed to get you foot-tapping and itching to sing along. I'm happy to admit I know all the words to this now (yes, even Reggii's ).

Next, Thinking Of You...definitely in my top three. Northern soul-like, with brilliant lyrics and vocal performances, from both Matt and Reggii, to die for. brings to mind dancing till dawn on hot crowded dance floors in small clubs where the music never stops. Adore it.

I Know How It Feels. Quite simply, the Blues. With a twist. And done perfectly. Brings to mind a dark, smokey blues club in the 1920's, with bodies swaying sinuously to the slow rhythm... and the end vocal, stripped back to just Matt's voice with a slight echo, gives me goosebumps. Every time.

Next up is Down. A slowish dreamy kind of song with a hidden heat and a pulsing beat that would melt an iceberg. Gorgeous.

And then there's Gimme Some More. Oh man...what can I say about this one. This one had me hooked before I'd even heard the rest of the album! I ADORE this song so very much...and the video isn't too shabby either. Two gorgeous blokes in a bowling alley...symbolic much? It might be my completely depraved mind, but I have a feeling this song was written with sex in mind... correct me if I'm wrong, gentlemen!

Everybody Clap Your Hands is THE party song of the summer...play this at your summer bbq's and watch the neighbours turn up...perfect song for a sunny summer evening with a cold drink and good friends.

And that brings me to my current favourite, Killing Time. An almost stripped-back song, Matt's guitar and vocals taking centre stage with an almost plaintive quality that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Hauntingly beautiful. Sublime, in fact.

And there you have it. So far.

For me, this is the album of the year, and if you only buy one album, make it this one. Get it here http://matthenshaw.bandcamp.com/album/coming-around?goback=.gde_4954001_member_237055558

You certainly won't regret it. These two are coming into their own now, and have created something very special, very special indeed. If there is any justice, this will be picked up by the big boys at the radio stations, be broadcast far and wide, and become the huge hit it deserves to be.

Matt, Jimmy...I thank you. My soul thanks you. My ears thank you.

Now I have only three words for you both...

More please.

Soon.

Peace and Love

Lesley
x

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Leslie ... sex not on my mind ... moreso peace, love and positivity ! #askJimmy

    ReplyDelete